Follow on BlogLovin

threadWEAR 301 Logo

threadWEAR 301

Linen Eureka Tops


I love the Eureka vest and have made it out of wool, raw silk and lightweight linen. But I wanted to make one that had a "skirt" or underlay so that I could use two coordinating pieces of linen—a plaid and a stripe—that I'd gotten from Cy Rudnick's years ago. (Sorry but the store closed years ago.)

The first step was to decide what the underlay should look like. Remembering a discussion with Linda about the Hibiscus Shirt, the underlay for that shirt is what I used as a starting point for the vest. I drew a pattern from the Hibiscus underlay and made the necessary alterations to the Eureka fronts and backs to match the asymmetrical shape of my underlay.

Next I used some inexpensive fabric that I'd recently purchased to make a test. The result was the yellow vest above.

Since that worked out well, I cut out the fabric from the teal plaid and striped linen fabric, sewed it up and ended up with a really cute vest.


But I didn't stop there because I wanted to make a vest that didn't have the asymmetrical look to it. I wanted one with just a "skirt" under it, which was very easy to do, as well as a vest that was a bit longer than the Eureka vest.

1) I used the back underlay pattern from the Eureka-Hibiscus vest, but squared it up so it wouldn't be asymmetrical.

2) I shortened the original length of the Eureka vest a few inches.

3) After sewing the Eureka portion of the vest, I just topstitched the skirt onto the Eureka vest.

Voilà—two new versions of the Eureka vest.


Guest Blog Post by Ann Unger

Thanks Ann!


West End Shorts
Linen Gauze

Subscribe Now!

Make sure you don’t miss a thing. Complete the simple form below and click “Sign Up” to subscribe to our blog.

Fabric Care

Click here to review details for caring for your fabric.